History & Background

History and Background

The Directorate started in May 1955, under the able guidance of late Prof. S.R.Narayana Rao, then Head, Geology Department, Lucknow University, as Hony. Director. The department started its functions, under the administrative control of the Department of Indology, Culture and Scientific Research. During the year 1955, two more gazzeted officers were recruited, one each in the discipline of geology and geochemistry , and the staff was accommodated in two rooms at Moti Mahal, Lucknow and the geochemical laboratory was established in the Geology Department of Lucknow University. The meager budget allotment, for the year was only Rs. one lac, out of which the expenditure for the year was Rs. 74,701/- . During 1956-57 and 1957-58, the gazetted staff was raised to 7 and 8 respectively. Subsequent to the retirement of Prof. Rao from Lucknow University in April 1958, he also resigned from the Directorate and Dr. Krishna Mohan, Geologist was given the charge of the Directorate in December 1958.